Pages

Tuesday 21 January 2014

GLOSSYBOX FIRST IMPRESSIONS: January 2014

Tuesday 21 January 2014
Glossybox, what is going on?
Of all the Glossyboxes I've received since April last year, this is probably one of the worst.
Which is no mean feat seeing as last month's was terrible as well.
This month they've undergone some changes it seems; the box itself is bigger, there's a glossy finish to it as opposed to the matt box that we're all used to, the Glossybox logo is now only written on the top of the lid as opposed to on the left and right handsides as well, and they've changed the ribbon - it's a thick black one with the logo on.
Right, so I'm not going to kick off because they've changed the box, that's not a deal breaker, even though in my humble opinion the "glossy" look they've given the box makes it look cheap. I feel like I don't find this one as luxurious as I did all the others. As for what's inside it...
Really Glossybox? Really?! *Facepalm*
1. Vaseline Essential Moisture Clean Feeling Moisturiser.
Okay personally I'm not fond of the Vaseline moisturisers. As a kid my mum used to slather me in Vaseline Instensive Care and I still use it on occasion but I'd rather reach for the Garnier Intensive 7 Days Nourishing Lotion, the cocoa butter one is magic in a bottle let me tell you. So I'm completely apathetic towards this sample; I tried a bit on my hands and meh. It smells like mouldy cucumber and has a really thin consistency plus as far as moisturising goes, it's not great. My hands feel soft, but not nourished. It's kind of like washing your hands with a "moisturising" hand wash; probably better for your skin that bar soap but not moisturised enough. If that makes any sense.

2. Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream
I had high hopes for this (these, clearly I got two) sample of Japanese "multi-usage", their words not mine, cream as Asian products seem to be taking over the beauty scene at the moment. Plus Japan is close to South Korea, which I am obsessed with, so naturally I squealed. The company claims that "Yu-Be is a glycerin based moisturiser from Japan enriched with vitamins B2, C and E." Which sounds really promising, but then it goes on to say; "Yu-Be is safe and effective all year long on all dry & severe dry skin areas of your body - including your face and your lips!", and as it turns out this skin cream is more of an ointment. First of all, it stinks. I whacked a bit on the back of my hand and holy cow the menthol. Apparently that's some ingredient called Camphor, which does as promised "completely fade in minutes", but subsequently this is not going anywhere near my face. The little leaflet thing also outlines that this is good for callouses and cuticles which I think will work, especially on neglected feet which have been hidden away in boots all winter, but as a face cream or a lip balm definitely not.

3. Anatomicals Puffy the EyeBag Slayer Wake-Up Under Eye Patches
Whilst I was never into Buffy I do love the name of this product but isn't this just glorified cucumber slices? Really though, I don't see the appeal. I guess they could be good to pop in your hand luggage or something, but the only place I travel to is university so I don't really have any use for them. In fact, let me know in the comments if you'd like me to do a giveaway, these might be more beneficial to you than they would be to me!

4. balance Me Super Toning Body Wash
I have a balance Me lip balm that I absolutely love so I did raise my eyebrows in suspense at seeing this little guy in the box. This body wash is of 99% natural origin which sounds fancy as pretentious as all so I was game, until I smelt it. Holy moly; no way. The label on the back reads; "Packed full of skin boosting, smoothing and toning juniper, bergamot, geranium and lavender essential oils" which explains why this smells like a herb garden. I'm not a fan, at all. Nope. Maybe this is a fantastic body wash but I will never be able to get passed the smell. Lavender, *shudder*, gross.

5. The Vintage Cosmetic Company Floral Slanted Tweezers
Let me start with the negative because I'm on a roll here; these tweezers are ugly. I hate flowery, kitsch things, I like diva and fierce, not delicacy. So whilst the other side (not pictured) of these tweezers is an eye-sore, to me personally, I am very happy to see sharp tweezers in this box! Here, I'll let you into a secret. Now get close because I'm going to whisper it; I have sparse yet really big eye brows and I've only ever tried to tweeze them once, with some cheap blunt tweezers at that. Don't tell anyone! I plan to hack away, sorry groom, them with these handy little fellas and I'll probably let you know how it goes!

And that's it. A nice, rounded 5 products from the lovely people at Glossybox. However if February's box is a shit as the past two have been, I'm jumping ship to Birchbox. Just saying.
Check out my video on December 2013's Glossybox to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to let me know if you want me to do a giveaway!
xo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be friends! Pop a comment in the box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for stopping by :)

Makeup. Music. Mayhem. © 2014